This is the first fruit cake I have made this year. Last year I made 5 or more and kept trying different recipes.
This recipe is a modification of a recipe that my Mum gave me. I substituted some of the coffee for brandy and flour for almond meal.
It would be very easy to convert this recipe to gluten free and I might try that next.
Why do all my fruit cakes appear slightly burnt?
My iphone is not the best camera to capture close up shots of brown colors.
Here is a slice of cake, on a white plate in my back yard.
Here is the recipe for Chocolate Fruit Cake
1 cup of black coffee
1 cup of brandy
150 grams of dark chocolate
1 kilo of mixed fruit
1 cup of self raising flour
1 cup of almond meal
1/2 teaspoon of mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1. soak over night the mixed fruit, coffee and brandy
2. preheat fan forced oven to 150 degrees
3. break up the chocolate and melt it in the microwave
4. mix into the wet fruit the flour and almond meal
5. add the melted chocolate
6. line a 20 x 28 tin or alternatively use a silicone round and you don’t have to line it
7. pour the mixture into your baking pan
8. cover the mixture with baking paper
9. bake for 2 hours (your cake will be very moist due to the chocolate)