100g dark chocolate
1 cup (250ml) water
125g butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar (original recipe was for 1 1/4 cup of brown sugar)
1 ½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
½ cup (75g) plain lour
¼ cup (30g) cocoa powder
Chocolate Butter Frosting
125g soften butter
1 cup sifted icing sugar
¼ cup sifted cocoa
2 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 160oC. Line 18 muffin pans with paper cases.
2. Combine the chocolate and water in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat ans set aside to cool.
3. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition, until just combined. Add the flours and cocoa powder and stir until just combined. Add the melted chocolate mixture and stir and combine.
4. Spoon evenly among the lined muffin pans. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. Once the muffins are cool. Cream together the butter, icing sugar, cocoa and milk until fluffy.
6. Cover the muffins with the chocolate butter frosting and decorate with shaved dark chocolate.
My favorite requested chocolate muffins for his play date with friends and he rated these 9 out of 10. He throught that they were a bit too sweet. Is that possible for an 8 year old boy to rate anything too sweet? Didn’t stop him from eating every last crumb.
Later on when we had family over for dinner, we turned off the lights, lite the candles and sung happy birthday, when the lights came back on he had cholocate on his face. I asked him how he ended up with icing over his face and he looked at me with his big blue eyes and said “I stuck my finger in the icing and licked it while the lights were out”.